Sparrow looks workmanlike. The story of her voyage to Cape Horn is told in the book ‘My old man and the Sea‘ by David Hays and Daniel Hays.
These drawings are taken from the book.
Sparrow has an attractive saloon with plenty of bookshelves.
Sparrow’s bullet-proof rig is both strong and flexible with numerous potential sail combinations.
- Laurent Giles design No: 718
- Builder: Westerly & Hays & Hays
- Launch Date: 1983
- Hull Material: grp
- Deck: grp
- Engine: None
- Ballast keel material: Lead
- Doghouse: Short
- Cockpit: Short
- Berths: Three
- Rig: Inboard masthead bermudan sloop
- Mast: Aluminium alloy
- Heads'ls: Jibs and stays'ls
- Backstay arrangement: Twin to quarters
- Home Port: New London, Connecticut, USA
- Current Owner: Daniel Hays
- Contact details:
- Email address: email@example.com
- Other comments: The most famous grp Vertue of them all! Doubled the Horn during circumnavigation of South America in mid 1990's.