Gay Caroline afloat in Italy
Gay Caroline ashore for inspection.
Gay Caroline was sold to Italy from her last English home port of Blyth. She sadly suffered some years of neglect but we believe she is now being restored near Venice.
She made some quite extended cruises to Scandinavia, Orkney, Shetland and Holland in the 1990’s.
Gay Caroline looks as if she may be one of those rare Vertues with both a long cockpit and a long, two window doghouse.
- Laurent Giles design No: 85
- Builder: Newman, Poole, Dorset.
- Launch Date: 1949
- Hull Material: Mahogany & teak bottom on oak.
- Deck: Probably canvas on pine.
- Engine: Yanmar 1GM diesel
- Ballast keel material: Lead
- Doghouse: Long
- Cockpit: Long, self draining.
- Berths: Five with quarter berth
- Rig: Masthead bermudan sloop. All inboard.
- Mast: Wooden
- Heads'ls: Genoa and stays'ls.
- Backstay arrangement: Twin and runners.
- Home Port: Genoa, Italy.
- Current Owner:
- Contact details:
- Email address:
- Other comments: Gay Caroline was one of several boats built by Newmans around this time. She appears to to have a long cockpit AND and one of the earliest long doghouses.