STOP PRESS! We have just discovered that Gay Caroline was sold to Italy from her last English home port of Blyth. She is now based in Genoa and is for sale again. Please contact me for more details.
We are hoping to update the full details of this boat shortly She was based in Northumberland in 2001. She is very similar to Grace and Eleanor of Poole, being one of the dozen or so ‘long cockpit’ boats, five of which were built by Newmans. She now has a long, two window doghouse, which is a rare, but not unknown, combination with the long cockpit arrangement. We would love to know if this was a later edition, to replace an earlier shorter doghouse.
She made some quite extended cruises to Scandinavia, Orkney, Shetland and Holland in the 1990’s.
It looks as if poor Gay Caroline might have caught a touch of sun! Nothing that can’t be fixed, I’m sure.
- Laurent Giles design No: 85
- Builder: Newman, Poole, Dorset.
- Launch Date: 1949
- Hull Material: Mahogany & teak bottom on oak.
- Deck: Probably canvas on pine.
- Engine: Yanmar 1GM diesel
- Ballast keel material: Lead
- Doghouse: Long
- Cockpit: Long, self draining.
- Berths: Five with quarter berth
- Rig: Masthead bermudan sloop. All inboard.
- Mast: Wooden
- Heads'ls: Genoa and stays'ls.
- Backstay arrangement: Twin and runners.
- Home Port: Genoa, Italy.
- Current Owner:
- Contact details:
- Email address:
- Other comments: Gay Caroline was one of several boats built by Newmans around this time. She appears to to have a long cockpit AND and one of the earliest long doghouses.