Owendo is one of a series of Vertues built by Elkins in the late 1940’s. They were the most prolific Vertue builders, their last wooden one being Raumati in 1962. Many had mahogany topsides and teak bottoms.
The title photograph shows her charging along with a couple of reefs in the main under the command of Mike Wodehouse who owned her for many years, and also ran the Vertue Owners Association.
Owendo is still based on the East Coast river Alde, and is now owned by Charles Clutterbuck.
- Laurent Giles design No: 60
- Builder: E.H.Elkins, Christchurch, Hampshire.
- Launch Date: 1947
- Hull Material: Mahogany & Teak on Oak
- Deck: GRP cloth covered pine.
- Engine: Beta 14 diesel
- Ballast keel material: Lead
- Doghouse: Short
- Cockpit: Short
- Berths: 2 in Saloon
- Rig: Masthead bermudan sloop.
- Mast: Wood
- Heads'ls: Genoa and stays'ls
- Backstay arrangement: Standing single to twin bumkin, & runners.
- Home Port: Aldeborough
- Current Owner: Charles Clutterbuck
- Contact details:
- Email address:
- Other comments: Owendo is a really beautiful example of an Elkins built Vertue.