Fionn is one of those rare Vertues which was built with a full gaff cutter rig, including bowsprit and tops’l. She was built over several years by her first owner, like many Vertues, using some local timbers and Philipine mahogany planking. She is especially unusual in having her gaff rig, with keel stepped mast, over the ‘ocean’, stepped, coachroof, which was concieved by the Giles design team alongside the Hiscock’s Wanderer III.
(At least a couple of much later gaff-rigged Vertues have been built in a similar fashion, but the design of the after end of the coachroof is very high and ungainly, and would never have been drawn in Jack Giles’ lifetime!)
Fionn on the slipway in Maldon, some years ago.
Fionn has the classic ‘ocean’ design configeration of Vertue coachroof, and the comfortable seagoing interior that is typical of that design. See the notes attached to the two earlier boats, Speedwell of Hong Kong and Icebird.
- Laurent Giles design No: 528
- Builder: Chris Larrewyn
- Launch Date: 1973
- Hull Material: Philipine mahogany on Silver Ash
- Deck: Epoxy sheathed beech.
- Engine: Yanmar 1 GM 10 diesel
- Ballast keel material: Lead
- Doghouse: None: long stepped coachroof as 'ocean' drawings.
- Cockpit: Short self-draining
- Berths: Two
- Rig: Gaff cutter
- Mast: Wood
- Heads'ls: Jibs and stays'ls.
- Backstay arrangement: Runners only.
- Home Port: Ipswich
- Current Owner: Steve Wood
- Contact details:
- Email address: email@example.com
- Other comments: Fionn is currently for sale in Maldon, Essex. email the owner Steve Wood.