We now have some real documentation about this unusual Vertue. It looks as if she is a very rare, ‘long cockpit-long coachroof’ boat, built in Sydney the middle of the 1960’s, and in the middle of the group of Cheoy Lee built sisterships with conventional layouts, that were shipped into England at that time.
Julia Jane was built with a number of modifications not usually found aboard other Vertues. She also still has her original Kelvin motor from the 1960’s!
- Laurent Giles design No: 449
- Builder: H & J Griffin: Mona Vale, Sydney, Australia
- Launch Date: 1965
- Hull Material: Huon Pine
- Deck: 1 1/4 " Teak laid
- Engine: Original Kelvin diesel
- Ballast keel material:
- Doghouse: Long
- Cockpit: Long
- Berths: Two
- Rig: All inboard masthead bermudan sloop
- Mast: Wood with double pairs of spreaders
- Heads'ls: Masthead genoa and stays'ls.
- Backstay arrangement: Standing, inboard
- Home Port: Sandringham, Port Philip, Victoria, Australia.
- Current Owner: Albert Doggett
- Contact details:
- Email address:
- Other comments: Julia Jane now lives in the Sandringham YC marina on the east side of Port Philip, Victoria in Australia.