Merganser has recently been extensively refitted after having been laid up ashore for 30 years. Alan Williams took on the boat as ‘retirement’ project after a lifetime as a shipwright, so he knew exactly what he was doing. He dropped off the ballast keel and refastened and recaulked the centreline, renewed the deck and refitted all the engine control systems. This two year full-time refit will now see the boat well set up for several more decades.
Merganser has been wonderfully restored in recent times and is now based on the East Coast of England. She has retained her original accommodation layout complete with much equipment from the 1950’s.
- Laurent Giles design No: 188
- Builder: Harry Feltham, Portsmouth
- Launch Date: 1952
- Hull Material: Teak on oak with Canadian rock elm
- Deck: Epoxy sheathed ply
- Engine: Yanmar 1GM10
- Ballast keel material: Lead
- Doghouse: Short
- Cockpit: Short
- Berths: three
- Rig: Masthead bermudan sloop
- Mast: Sitka spruce
- Heads'ls: Genoa, staysls 1-3 spinnaker
- Backstay arrangement: Single to boomkin with runners to levers
- Home Port: Titchmarsh Marina, Walton on the Naze
- Current Owner: Robert Westling
- Contact details:
- Email address:
- Other comments: Merganser is a beautifully built and restored, Vertue in the classic short doghouse style.